PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Drones threatening commercial a/c?
View Single Post
Old 16th May 2015, 05:19
Jumpindan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a hard time with drones. A non complient drone hit one of my former company's aircraft and killed four crewmembers a couple of years back. The drone climbed through it's assigned alltitude into RVSM airspace. They are more expensive to operate than a manned aircraft and once they stop communicating with their owners, there is no stopping them. Every person on this forum that has flown for more than a day has lost communications with ATC before. When this happens with a drone, the lack of a brain causes real concern for safety because after loss of lock/comms, a drone climbs uncommanded to the MSA for their entire route of flight. Also, as worthless as ALPA is, I would think they would be fighting tooth and nail to keep drones out of the picture. You can't get 2% of someone's income if they are an inanimate object. You would think they would be fighting against drones as a matter of safety, but there isn't a single pilot union that gives a damn about safety... Once pilots are replaced by ground operators, the unions are going away...