PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunstate pilot's Reps undercut Eastern pilots AGAIN
Old 16th May 2015, 05:09
Fonz121

Received 39 Likes on 14 Posts
It's got to get up first and there are A LOT of very unhappy campers at the moment. Well on the 400 anyway. Classic guys couldn't be happier with their limited amount of work.

I personally feel that DHA on it's own is a flawed system and won't increase motivation to work when you're getting flogged like the 400 guys are. A lower DHA combined with overtime pay would be much more appealing.

Take this scenario for example;

A 400 Captain has 120 duty hours rostered and a Classic Captain has 80. The 400 Cptn. is working 33% more than the classic driver. With DHA alone, the 400 Cptn. will earn $372 extra for the month. An FO will make $240 more. Hardly a motivating pay off for the rubbish lifestyle.

To me, an overtime system (like every other airline in the country has) would make more sense. If we took the system VARA use and applied it to the above scenario the Cptn. working more would earn a more reasonable amount.

I think the VARA guys get overtime for anything over 59 hours flying and I believe the FO rate is $60. I'm not 100% sure what the Cptn. rate is (let's assume it's about $100). Applying those figures to the above, our hard working 400 Cptn. (lets say they're flying 80 hours on the roster) will now receive an extra $2100 a month. A much more reasonable return for the extra work.

Overtime would also see a massive decrease in sick days for the guys who are getting flogged. Who wants to call in sick just as the going gets good post 59 hours?

I also notice that the worry about being away from base sitting in hotel rooms all day hasn't been addressed. Didn't the Jetstar guys just get DTA approved for the whole time they're away? As it stands, there is nothing to discourage the company from having us sit in hotels all day twiddling our thumbs.

Lifestyle is the reason a lot of folks stayed at Qlink. If they wanted to get flogged and be away from home all the time they would have gone somewhere that paid you for the luxury. Until the above concerns are addressed a lot will be voting no.

Last edited by Fonz121; 16th May 2015 at 05:10. Reason: Graaaammar