PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lanc Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2015, 19:34
smujsmith

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Around 1980 ish, I was the gang boss on a Field Repair Squadron (successor to 71 MU) team who undertook the refurbishment of the wings on PA474. It was a major task and gave me 50 or more technicians and the full support of Abingdons Station workshops. I believe that Abingdon workshops in those days were one of very few allowed to manufacture replacement primary structure for aircraft repair. It took 6 months, and, the wings were stripped to the bare spars, with a complete replacement of each removed part manufactured, on site at Abingdon by station workshops. It was decreed during the repair that all removed items, once duplicated, would be placed in a "cage", and would be sliced up, mounted and sold as souvineers at future B of B displays. I know for fact that certain Canberra bits ended up in the mix. The point is, PA474 has wings, circa 1980, not 1944. Engines and wiring looms are replaceable, the airframe is obviously replaceable. What matters is what that aircraft represents, and that's our respect for a very brave generation of people who, nightly, put their lives on the line to maintain our freedoms and rights when threatened by the Nazi omnipresence. It's a shame that most of what they fought for is being given away by modern politicians that have no conception of service to the country. Whatever the cost, PA474 should be repaired and restored to airworthiness, if only to reconfirm our gratitude to those that gave so much for us. Sorry about the rant, I truly believe the aircraft represents an enormous effort by men for our common good.

Smudge