PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reducing flaps on short finals
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2015, 11:44
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sillert

It is important to think out of the box about energy management and there will be occasions when having got it wrong you need to eliminate drag.I would get rid of gear first even though it meant putting gear down again if in a retractable.
Twin pilots tend to be more drag aware for obvious reasons

But this isn't the point the OP is a student who thinks he can use the last stage of flap as some sort of air brake ? WRONG

Thinking out of the box comes with experience which students do not have and to teach such use of flaps when the instructor would be better teaching how not to be in such a situation is more important

having to retract flap means you have added it too soon so why not concentrate on flying a stabilised approach and energy management and teach students when to add full flap instead of them dragging in with full flap from five miles out! Also teach the glide profile with each stage of flap

Get the fundamentals right especially with students and start to teach them energy management.
when I read the rubbish posted about pitch for speed or power I really wonder what students are being taught. Its energy management which is poorly taught and then there would be no need to retract flaps to correct an error?

Step turn is correct overall and I am sure thinks energy management

Last edited by Pace; 15th May 2015 at 12:08.