PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2015, 23:11
john_tullamarine

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts
On the L1011 Tristar there were five techniques for a smooth landing ..... unfortunately, no one knew what they were !

Love it ... can anyone use it or do you claim rights ? Echo the comment re 411A.

One consideration not apparently raised in earlier posts .. putting to one side the floater attempt to get a greaser which we all agree is poor practice.

On those very rare occasions where the ordinary folk amongst us accidentally get a perfect touchdown the result can be very unnerving. I can recall only two such events (one each on B727-200 and L188).

The L188, being the pussycat it is, was fine.

For the -200 example, though, and we all feared ending the flare more than a few inches above the runway, the touchdown (nothing much to do with my efforts although, naturally enough, I claimed the credit at the time) produced no shudder, no sound and I really didn't know whether we were on the ground .. or still in no-man's land.

Eventually, after what seemed an eternity .. but was probably a couple of seconds, the ASI and the boards told the story.

Nonetheless, it was probably the most unsettling feeling I have ever experienced in an aeroplane.

Lest anyone think it typical of my skills, the other few thousand landings brought my average back down to where it justly resided ...