PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 14th May 2015, 20:19
Thomas coupling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silsoe - is it your age or early onset dementia with you? Please read again and concentrate. I was specific and careful with my wording. Pay attention.
The same goes for the others who jumped down my throat - it is obvious they too are unable to read and digest at the same time.
EOL's are VERY VERY DIFFERENT from practice double engine go failures and from FFS failures. On most of the latter, you are expecting it anyway and prepared.
There is NO-ONE here on Pprune who has done a full EOL in a twin (other than their own aircraft perhaps) to a landing - in the last 20+ years.

When both engines fail FOR REAL, it costs the average pilot around 1 to 3 seconds to react to the circumstances because they simply cannot comprehend what is going on for that miniscule moment. That will have cost them a major proprotion of their 'useable' and remaining Nr. They will then have to set the cab up into wind, at the correct speed, in balance. This will cost them further Nr decay if they aren't smooth with the controls.
They will also need lots of height to prepare for the inevitable. ANY incursion below minimum Nr will mean an early exit from this life - invariably.

I purposely checked out about a dozen experienced RAF pilots, current on type (twins) in the FFS after the Strathclyde crash. I sprung the double engine failure on them (a) unexpectedly and (b) at low level (400 feet). I kept them in day mode for the exercise. Every single one of them failed to carry out the manouevre successfully. Most lost control of Nr within seconds of it decaying because they simply did not believe it was happening to them at such a low level.
ALL of them noted that the Nr decay was noticeably quicker during a double EOL than it was for a reduction to FI.
Many disclosed that it was the change of 'note' coming from the rotors together with the accompanying silence from the engines......
make of this what you will.

Now add night time, add over a city centre, add lack of experience, Dare I say more.

Read carefully before you pipe up in future all of you