PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another runway at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2015, 18:22
Fairdealfrank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently not, in order to connect "swiftly" from The Midlands or The North Of England we will all have to change in "North Acton", lug our bags up 2 escalators, then down two more, yomp across 4 platforms, then get another train that deposits us in the centre of Heathrow where we can then get a bus to take us to the right terminal , and all this 2 hours after alighting from a mode of transport that apparently will got us to North Acton in less than an hour in the first place !!!!!!!
Exactly, it’s clearly nonsense, no one will do that, far better to fly between Heathrow and Ringway.

Over exaggeration just a bit , but a damn sight near the reality.
No exaggeration at all, it’s exactly the reality!

If rail connections are convoluted what of roads how do you make the most of the expansion unless in tandem you upgrade the M25/M40/M4 and the M3. Surely these will require overwhelming surgery ?
Already started on the M3, whether it’s the right sort of upgrade (allowing drivers to use the hard shoulder) is a moot point.

The politics of HS2 are beyond me, but there was an interesting article in the FT over the weekend (behind a paywall I'm afraid).

It contrasted the very poor benefit/cost ratio of HS2 with the very attractive forecast for LHR R3 (even at the grossly inflated cost estimates for R3).

It wouldn't surprise me if HS2 gets quietly dumped, especially if the North-West politicians/council leaders finally realise that all it will do is further reinforce the dominance of London. I've always been mystified as to why Richard Leese and others have been so supportive of HS2.
It will be dumped, for precisely the reasons you mention. Plus it has nothing to contribute to the "Northern Powerhouse" (sic).

We all know that this is going to continue to be kicked into the long grass. As we say in the UK, "Yes, Minister".
Regretable, but probably correct, so even more public money wasted. Been going on since 1971 (Roskill), add it all up and it would be a frightening amount.

Odd how it is the 'Make Britain Greater Still' brigade who are the most opposed to things like this and then they sit back and whine (wine too) about how the frogs and krauts (their words not mine) always end up better off than us
PB.

And the best reason of all for building R3 is that Boris would be part of the foundations and we would no longer have to put up with his cartoon clown disguise for a very nasty ultra right ambition.
Maybe a few more will join him in the foundations. Makes a change from propping up a motorway flyover……..