PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lanc Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2015, 11:16
NutLoose

Received 2,920 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Looking at pictures of the engine bearers showing the heat they have had on them, I would say they are probably scrap, I don't know if the BBMF hold such as spares but I believe Just Jane after NDT'ing some they aquired from Canada were looking at having to produce new items, that in itself I imagine will bring up its own problems with Material specs etc....
And that is just one component in a long list of possible damaged parts.

If I was a betting man and allowing for the possible downtime, I would say the sensible option would be to bring the planned 2016 rebuild forward, break it into sections, (they were probably going to have to do that for the inspection anyway) and truck it down to Duxford, you will then be able to kill two birds with one stone, you can progress the repair / overhaul of the aircraft, whille you source / sort the parts needed.. the fly in the ointment for that though is probably hangarage, as I believe they were going to build one to do the overhaul in.

Judging by these pics off twitter it had breached the lower firewall and one image online I have seen shows two trails of white smoke from both engines, so one wonders if it was drawn into the leading edge by the airflow from the inner engine.

https://twitter.com/hashtag/bbmf

Last edited by NutLoose; 14th May 2015 at 15:45.