PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Instruments Vs Car Instruments and readability
Old 14th May 2015, 09:53
FlightDream111

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Comments on Comments

Comments on the replies received so far:

2 sheds:
May I commend to your attention "The Aircraft Cockpit" by LFE Coombs - report back when you have read it!
I purchased the book on Kindle and read it - it is more of a history of aircraft ergonomics than a study, however very interesting how early aircraft controls were set up.

EDMJ:
Why would I want a "777PFD" when there are plenty of those things around tailored for small aircraft (google "Aspen" and "G1000")?
Just google also 777PFD and compare what you see - which is less cluttered?

Evolution 2000 | Products | Aspen Avionics

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...mond_DA-42.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_c...80_cockpit.jpg

(could not find a clearer picture from public domain sites)

I personally find the first two cluttered, confusing to read and tiring.

OhNoCB:

OP:
The altimeter is always difficult to read with its three overlapping white colored pointers

This is true, and while you do get used to it I believe it is universally recognised to be an issue.
Well yes, the point is no that it was found to be confusing in use, but that from the first day of use, and at the design stages, it should have been found to be confusing and an alternate design should have been adopted.

Even today, following a 'design for use' and 'user friendly' goals in designing instruments could reduce much confusion. My impression is that the automobile instruments have been improved not only due to customer demand but the frequent changes to the designs - with each year's model. Putting aside any user considerations, aircraft components tend to take longer to be redesigned and aircraft tend to stay in service longer.

AndrewMcD is right when he says:

In reality most basic aircraft - and certainly flight school planes - are working off designs that are decades old. In fact in the case of most trainer aircraft the planes themselves are decades old so inevitably the ergonomics are going to look dated - it's because they are!
darkroomsource makes the point about glare from angled instruments and instrument panels, this may be the case:

So to summarize, have quick look at these automotive and aircraft instruments indicating speed only:

ASI:
Airspeed indicator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Speedometer
Speedometer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In terms of readability - size, colors, lighting, letter and numeric fonts I would say the speedometer is easier to read.

Compare also the electronic flight display here:

Electronic flight instrument system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Which one do you find easier to read?

That done, I may just design my own panel (on the sim) and put it up here for comments.

Last edited by FlightDream111; 14th May 2015 at 10:14.