PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger Moth Crash
View Single Post
Old 14th May 2015, 04:35
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BPF
However as an aerobatic instructor I feel very strongly about the requirement for a proper course of instruction before flying any aerobatic maneuver. This instruction will deal with all the bad things that can happen when flying aerobatics even for the simple maneuvers. All credible aerobatic training will also emphasize the importance of conducting aerobatic maneuvers at a safe height.
This pilot had received training in loops and spinning.

I find the flight profile of the first flight frightening in its recklessness
I agree, yet the previous passenger who wasn't a novice to flying didn't think there was an issue.

and simply do not find it credible that the same style of flying was not carried out on the second flight and that it contributed to the accident.

Given the level of training and experience of the pilot and the fact that the aircraft passenger was a large and very heavy man, a local slight seeing flight at a sensible altitude and with moderate turns with no aggressive maneuvering would have been appropriate and would have greatly reduced the probability of an accident.
Apparently the second flight was planned to be "a local slight seeing flight " to photograph a building, no aeros.
In fact he was heading to a specific point to take photographs of a building on the accident flight until turned away from a busy controlled zone and then heading back home.
In general terms most of what you say is correct, however the specifics of this accident make some of what you say less relevant.