PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Disturbing Dream...
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 23:04
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First off dear Original Poster:

buy the book, "Stick and Rudder". Read it. Repeat. Repeat until you know every word by heart. Ignore those who say it is sexist (written 70 years ago plus) or minor anachronisms like '"FLIPPER" instead of elevator (though his rationale is exceptional).

Second. Learn the difference between a spin and spiral.

Third. Know what limits to bank angle or prudent in the traffic pattern.

I would limit myself to 15degrees on crosswind turn. and 15 degrees on base to final. You will have to start the turn earlier to use shallower banks.

And never exceed 30 degrees of bank anywhere in the pattern (bonafide emergency aside like banking to avoid collision).

A very fine student of mine got into a position of head on with another plane on the wrong base leg (student was on left base, intruder on right).

He had to maneuver and got the stall warning. Executed a great recovery at low altitude at a mountainous airport and lived to tell me about it. We had talked about very low altitude stall recovery just days before and how we can avoid stalls by being aware of where they occur and what can lead up to them.

SILLERT VI

your PA 38 story is interesting to me. I've never been able to trim below 60 knots. There has been some good discussion about being "TRIMMED" and it is vital to good flying.

The feel of the wheel tells you the speed. Clutching hand and all from some article years ago.

I am guessing you were not trimmed.