PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - US3 v ME3 - 'The Economist' weighs in
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 18:37
120feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a guess.

Pao,
I would guess that applicants at the Big 3 are 85% RJ, 10% military and 5% other. Meaning your odds of getting hired are better if you are Other or Military. I left the US right seat 320 for right seat widebody in ME. Not much different than moving up at a major. At the time, many moons ago it was a good job in the ME. Not any more. Which is why people are leaving droves. I can now work in the US get 50% more days off and almost never see the back of the clock. If I had kids it would be a no brainer to move back home. Both the US and ME carriers have certain cost advantages,over the other. I will say however 1 ramper in the US probably cost the same as a dozen cleaners at EK. Also, EK doesn't pay employee taxes like the US. Labor as whole is just a lot cheaper in the ME. The biggest reason for the EK success story though is aircraft utilization, and simple fleets. Their planes are in the air 40% more than any other European or US airline. Thats why they do so well. Now the Big 3 should go to BAH ask to build a big island airport off the coast and compete directly with the ME3. BAH airspace is huge and the WX is always nice. All IMHO