PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Targets 2018 For GPS-Based Autoland Capability
Old 13th May 2015, 17:27
GlobalNav

Received 151 Likes on 53 Posts
Cat I GLS Autoland

Some recent Boeing and Airbus models are equipped with GLS systems qualified for Category I and autoland, as a first step toward Cat III and, for that matter, as an additional opportunity to regularly exercise the autoland functions.

Cat I GLS can be flown at EWR and IAH and perhaps some others by now, but not sure if autoland is available in every case. The key prerequisite is installation of a qualified ground station (GBAS) - GAST C for Cat I and GAST D for Cat III (not yet in service). A key difference is increased signal integrity.

Cat III operations, of course, require more than airborne and navaid systems, they also require an runway/airport infrastructure, especially lights and the low visibility surface movement plan with associated markings, lights, procedures, etc. Nevertheless, as previously mentioned in this thread, the GBAS GAST D would be less expensive than the Cat III ILS installation, plus usable for all qualified runways in the vicinity not just one as with ILS.