PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Rotor Blade Radar (RODAR)
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 14:14
SeaMac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Helicopter Rotor Blade Radar (RODAR)

I've had this idea for decades and after having researched discovered there are numerous patents relating to the subject. Reading the abstracts, a main rotor based radar system makes great sense and provides for a very sensitive radar. Due to the width of the radome in relation to the size of the rotor disc a Synthetic Aperture Radar could be developed to rival or surpass anything currently available. For a helicopter this would provide 360* situational awareness, terrain avoidance, weather, obstacle detection etc. etc.

There are also patents relating to Electro-Optical systems built-in to the rotor blade tips. Combining both these technologies into the main rotor leaves the fuselage free of any aerodynamics robbing appendages and again just makes sense.

My question is, why have these ideas not gone any further? With today's miniaturization of electronic components, computing capability and composite materials along with the safety and operational benefits of developing such systems would seem to me to be a priority.

Last edited by SeaMac; 13th May 2015 at 18:54.