PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Importance of a good Landing
View Single Post
Old 13th May 2015, 10:23
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, you learn a great deal about someone's attitude to flying during the final stages of a manual approach & landing. There are those who forget the flare, touchdown & roll out are a pilot controlled flying manoeuvre. I've seen quite acceptable approaches flown to a reasonable flare and then "you have control" as captain gravity took over and the a/c met the rising ground in an arrival. This is more common on a calm clear day. Somehow the brain switches off. On the bumpy days the brain stays active and the pilot keeps piloting. Why not on every landing? It is necessary. Aerocat has the priority points correct. Have the correct crash spot in focus and don't let it move and hit it with a controlled bump/kiss/thump - what you will. Don't forget braking and steering technique is also important. Smooth landings on the spot followed by nose flattening braking and wet dog shaking steering will not leave the lasting imprecation you wanted. Smooth control throughout, all the way to the gate. Even then there are those who stamp on the brakes in the last 1m. Good news if the pax have stood up too early.