PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Army Sergeant arrested over wifes parachute failure
Old 13th May 2015, 08:42
skydiver69

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
Barnstormer1968
It's funny but many posters here are familiar with chutes. The police are less familiar and may have been happy it was an accident if it wasn't for fellow chute club members pointing stuff out.
Police wouldn't normally be called to at accident like this although if it had been fatal they would have attended. Their involvement would only have started when someone from the parachute club looked at the kit and thought that it was suspicious which I presume would have been something to do with the way the reserve looked when the victim landed.

I have heard plenty of stories from fellow skydivers about incorrectly rigged main canopies which suggest that a problem with the slinks on this particular rig would not have been enough on its own to suggest sabotage. I therefore think there must have been an obvious problem with the stowage or rigging of the reserve as well as the main. Double mals do happen but they are quite rare.