PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL training/Ownership Combination how please?
Old 12th May 2015, 22:15
27/09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the detailed input most insightful and informative, correct me if am wrong but the consensus seems to be that my plan in training using an owned aircraft is viable and possible
I don't know the UK training rules but I'd say using using your own aircraft for your training should be no problem and this seems to be echoed by others. You have alluded to the fact that you'd be happy for the flying school to use the aircraft when your'e not flying it. There are several ways to manage the operation of the aircraft, I would get advice from others who have aircraft in similar circumstances to find out what will work best for you.

my choice of aircraft should be reconsidered to something smaller as mentioned before C172 or PA28.
I strongly disagree, providing the aircraft you have chosen (in this case a PA32 Cherokee 6) is the right one for your missions. In my experience a PPL who has learned to fly in a particular aircraft is far more competent and confident in that aircraft than someone who has done a type endorsement after gaining their licence. This especially the case with low hour pilots.

Why did you choose the PA32 to start with? Was it a case of I like the look of the aircraft or did it meet specific requirements like passenger seating or payload etc?

Before you decide on purchasing a particular aircraft you need to decide on what you want from that aircraft. Do you need speed? Do you need versatility? Do you need space/payload? Etc etc.

Perhaps a PA28 or C172 may be all you need. Bear in mind a four seat aircraft like your typical PA28 or C172 is four seats in name only. Generally you will not be able to fill the seats, fill the fuel tanks and baggage locker and still be able to meet the weight and balance limitations. This is where the likes of the PA32 comes into it's own. You might still only carry four people including the pilot but you can carry plenty of fuel and baggage and have a bit more space for the passengers.

Do you know roughly the approximate fuel burn on a C172 compared to PA28 I know each particular engine and aircraft has its own performance parameters but am talking on an average basis, and which of the 2 is more suitable for my potential trips into the continent.
The fuel burn on either will be very similar, but in my experience the PA28 is faster giving a slightly better mpg.

The speeds are not significantly different (5 to 10 knots) however on along trips my experience has been that the PA28 gives quite an advantage over the C172.

My choice between a PA28 and a C172 for cross country flight would be the PA28, they are generally faster, quieter and more comfortable. However YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

As I mentioned earlier you need to make your choice based on a range of factors.

Thanks again for your input folks most appreciated and looking forwards to further input before I buy the aircraft as I would like to start training ASAP.
I would suggest you make a start on your training at an establishment that is happy to continue your training in you own aircraft once have decided on what to buy.

One problem we all face when embarking on something new is we don't know what we don't know. I'm making assumption here that you probably fit into this category. There's a lot a value in taking some time to learn the ins and outs. This will help with choosing the right aircraft. Take your time look and listen, ask questions and beware of those who will only consider one brand.