PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Global Aviation Magazine : 60 Years of the Hercules
Old 12th May 2015, 20:28
dragartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a quick input for now: It is not just a case of the keeping the aircraft straight and level. Load forward and aft may do this but the fuselage may bend in the middle.

I really wrestled with an MSP (or double MSP) issue for a good few months. This was over the vertical position of CoG within the platform which had an impact on the bending forces on the skydel beams. - in a nutshell they would have broke in a hard braking condition. The restraint was so close to the margins anyone stood in front may have been crushed. OK how many ALMs went to the flight deck during take off and landing in order to comply with AvP 970. I am not sure if this was read across into OO-970. You will have heard the term grandfather rights.

The good guys at Boscombe had retained the worlds only copy of the Skydel type record. Even the DA did not have a record.

What a difficult job the ALMs or load planners would have had as there were severe changes to the MSP load configurations forward and aft with so many permutations and combinations. I remember preparing tables that went on and on describing the achievable level of restraint at various weights. I think the only one not affected was 105 ammo with no side stores.

(see Dougies picture showing the wooden sheets to which were strapped boxes of ammo to max out the load- this became outlawed out side of an Operational Emergency Clearance)

I printed loads of pictures from what we called Medium Platform Clearances, reduced the pictures and made cardboard cut outs to play the tunes and develop the instruction.

For another similar challenge I made a wooden model in my shed with rubber bands to describe the effect of overturning moments and forces.

I am sure some will have tales over kgs vs lbs.