PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2015, 06:57
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

Thanks for coming back, and once again I apologise for being a little frivolous. But:

Yes, the P1Eb upgrade seems to give the Typhoon a decent Paveway capability. The point I was making was the severe 'overclaiming' that has gone on for some three or four years over Typhoon's strike capability, and the relative silence on PPrune about it. (Certainly compared to the criticism of F-35). And no, I don't think I would call the P1Eb upgrade a 'paradigm shift'. (BAES press release Nov 14).

I'm not having a pop at BAE: I know how hard they have had to work to get to this stage. But I also have a decent grasp of how much the UK has had to pay to get here, and how long it's had to wait. I also have a reasonable handle on how much the UK would have to do (and pay) to take the Typhoon much further.

Doing this combat aircraft stuff is hard. F-35 certainly made a rod for their own backs with the claims and publicity early on. But they're by no means the only program to suffer delays and challenges.

Anyways, free forum and all that. For my part, I'm waiting to see how the next set of F-35B sea trials go.

Best regards as ever to all those managing the mods

Engines