PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Press. Cycles Count
View Single Post
Old 11th May 2015, 03:04
skyhighfallguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tscottme

I am guessing you are worried about a rapid or explosive decompression?

I know the the DC9 had a static test fuselage in a water tank and was constantly cycled through pressurization cycles IN ADVANCE of any real airliner flying out there.

It was ahead of the oldest real flying DC9 by about 3 times. In other words it had done 60,000 cycles when the real plane was at 20,000 cycles. This is done to note any problems in tests rather than in real life.

While there are some famous blowouts like the ALOHA airlines 737 this is quite rare, quite!

Many years ago a new kind of plane, the COMET had problems and you can read about it in the book : Tale of the Comet. It had the problems before I was born.

And that was a long time ago.

Airlines are best served by excellent safety records. I can think of a Southwest 737 that was relatively new that had a piece of the fuselage open up. But I would like you to understand that the pressurization system has something called an OUTFLOW valve that opens and closes to keep pressure correctly. It is about the size of two passenger windows, so if something blew out like a window it would close and there would be some pressure in the plane. And windows don't blow out very often.

good luck