PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C210 down in Broome town
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2015, 22:33
Jabawocky

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tio

Time to slow down on the desperation tactics. Yes I am an engineer who studied mechanical of all things although these days it is mostly accounting I do

Have I had very close working association with the G100UL unleaded avgas project? Yes. Do I also know that the APS class is based on data and facts from P&W, CW and the teachings of Taylor etc…..YES. Is George Braly and the Carl Goulet Memorial engine test facility not the best example of piston aero engine test cells in the world today? YES (and even the FAA learn from them).

This is not a pissing contest of credentials, if you want that jump on a plane fly to Ada OK and go see George for a day. If you cope with that (and most can't) then you will have done well.

When I get a moment, like about an hour, I will respond to all the posts here accurately. This will be in a factual and scientific manner that is not opinion but data backed, for your education and anyone else who comes along later.

Just for a moment, contemplate this……when you read a POH and there are charts and data provided showing the full spectrum of engine management on one page and then you read on and there is some poorly worded single cookbook recipe like that quoted by yourself, and they are completely at odds with each other…….what do you ? You can't do both at the same time can you?

So what happens is the vast majority of instructors and hence pilots who are not able to decipher the data, they gravitate to the written explanation trusting that reflects the data. The problem is that is sometimes written by the work experience kid in marketing (we had one in an APS class who stood up and admitted his words in a POH-brave man). So you the pilot ignores the correct data lovingly prepared by the engineers, and favour the BS on the next page.

This is not uncommon, we use many examples in the class manual.

By the way, APS does not need any accreditation, it stands on its own merits and besides there would need to be a pretty well qualified accreditation team……and so far I doubt there are any more qualified in the piston aero engine community than George Braly himself.

Lycoming have sent folk, and even been challenged to provide data that proves anything we teach is wrong, Walter even offered USD$1K for anything they had…..they said there is nothing that refutes the data.

What about TCM you say? Well the very first class I taught was a few years ago in Oklahoma, and we had a senior guy from TCM there, his name is Bill Ross, (nice guy too) he went back to the factory on and declared their engineers were all going to take the class. So for the last several classes there have been 4-6 in attendance. Heck last year at Oshkosh, Bill Ross in one of his seminars was actually promoting to their customers to take the class. I think that speaks enough.

I will find some time out of my "engineering day" coz thats what I do…..and try to deal with the previous posts. Hang in there.