PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lymphoma and getting back the FAA medical.
Old 10th May 2015, 18:45
AW381JW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nigerian Expat Outlaw
Hello AW381JW,

I was diagnosed with Non Hodgkins in March 2012. As previous posters have said the newer types of chemotherapy make it very treatable. I had R-CHOP (an acronym for a cocktail of chemicals), which targets the T protein cells, stopping the lymphoma from reproducing. The shrinkage is very quick.

Unfortunately for me the lymphoma had wrapped itself around my small bowel effectively closing it, resulting in malnutrition. So after 3 cycles of 6 my treatment was stopped in order for an operation to be done to re-open my bowel. Because of this I ended up having 8 cycles in total.

This was rushed/botched so although I reached remission in March 2013 my digestive system was seriously impaired. This was finally rectified 3 months ago, after I was admitted as an emergency case suffering from a blocked bowel.

When they opened me up they saw my small bowel was hardly functioning. So they removed the impaired part (a tiny fraction of the total), and since then I have been 100% fit and healthy. Never felt better !

So the Lymphoma is very treatable these days, as long as there are no associated issues.

Good luck and my thoughts are with your other half.

NEO
Hi NEO!

Thanks for all the info. I did hear something about the R-CHOP from the oncologist. He has the bigger ones mostly around his colon (~3 inches the biggest).

We are hopeful. Thanks again for the support.