PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 17:18
av8r76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you could influence the powers that be who define our work conditions, we would be glad to.
Unfortunately, your POV is severely limited by the very fact that you haven't lived the life of a pilot.
I cannot even begin to imagine the risks and challenges a business owner has to overcome to run a viable business. I request you to give us the same due regard.
It's not just about the hours. Those are, as you say, regulated ,by a regulator. Time and time again, a regulators decisions are dictated more by commercial interests rather than safety, which should be the prime directive for them.

If you really want to talk about hours, the core issue, as someone has rightly pointed out, is the amount of UNregulated hours we are required to put in. That to me is akin to the dark matter that no one really knows about, but definitely plays a pivotal role in how the universe works.

I cannot think of any other occupation, where you have to be mentally alert during the complete duration of duty, with no break. The time zone changes wreak havoc on our body clocks and after just 7 years in this profession, I am beginning to feel the physiological impact, despite being a moderately fit individual.

The advent of this ruthless FDTL target policy, will, I am certain, lead to a significantly reduced average life expectancy for pilots.

And your argument that we should just walk away from our job is facetious at best. Where exactly do you think our skills can be transferred with, if not the same, but even a marginally reduced income level?

Your management skills are easily transferable, should you choose to sell your business and become a salaried employee. Our skills, while you might call a form of management, are not the core skills we hone on a daily basis. So it is not easy to switch jobs/careers midstream and sustain a semblance of financial security which this affords (to the lucky ones atleast).