PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UK Maritime Patrol Aircraft - An Urgent Requirement
Old 10th May 2015, 14:38
Yellow Sun

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
True, but that was before La Sturgeon took to the stage.
The discussion of the "risk" associated with any decision to base another unit in Scotland would be interesting. Waddington already supports two CFM56 engined Boeing types and has a number of infrastructure elements that would be relevant to a maritime operation. I cannot see any compelling reason why a new maritime aircraft would have to be based at either extremity of the country but I could come up with a number of good reasons why it should not.

Any basing option will entail significant expenditure on support functions, I don't know whether Waddington would have the capacity. Scampton would require a great deal of investment to bring it back to operational status. The same applies to Cottesmore; and in any case it's probably too late to take it back from 3Bde. Could Wittering be expanded again, I really don't know. What is clear is that we seem to be getting a bit short of real estate!

YS

PS
Aside from all that, let's just hope the rumour has some foundation and soon "The boys will be back in town"!