PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 13:40
FLCH
Buttonpusher

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rex - i am being deliberately obtuse, to highlight the perception of the profession, and to highlihgt the biggest challenge in bringing change. I work my @rse off to run my business, and 80 hours a week is not uncommon - but i wouldnt (and couldnt) work as a commercial pilot. Not so much becasue of the hours, early starts/ late finishes etc, its the uncertainty that the inflexible rosters, unstable basing, and generally unstable companies which would break me. You do all have my greatest respect.

I’d been flying for around 15 years, and held a class 1 for about 3 years. I’d been job hunting for about a year or so after finishing my training (CPL/MEIR/JOC/MCC) when the CAA pulled my medical completely for nearly 8 months - I couldn’t even fly on a PPL. After 1000s of pounds worth of medical tests I eventually got handed the OML medical back.

Shortly afterwards, I stopped pursuing the flying career. And I kind of wish it had happened before I spent 40k on training
Weather was utterly attrocious. Just driving past the airport earlier was tretchrous enough - as a CPL/IR with 20 years flying in this area I wouldnt have gone anywhere near the sky today.

And it was forecast!
...but then again - if you wanted a proper work/life balance you wouldnt have chosen to be a pilot.

Looks like you chose to be a pilot too Clunk as these were all your quotes, but you give the impression of being otherwise.

So what is it 15 or 20 ?