PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 12:03
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clunk, do you drive home drunk? Do you drive home tired? I assume if your tired, you behave in a sensible fashion and take a nap, its what I do when I'm tired and on the road, I pull over and have a rest as after all being tired has been proven to be more debilitating and detrimental than being drunk, certainly from the perspective of judgement and decision making. Hmmmm now, what do I do when I'm suddenly over-come with that same tiredness 15 minutes from landing? I'll just pull over and take a nap.......
I've had the benefit of working in other areas outside of aviation, and I've worked the hours you speak about, the big difference is I've ALWAYS had to opportunity to catch up on my rest, in my own bed, timezone, comfort zone, unlike things have become in aviation today where cumulatively, we don't get a chance to recover.
I now consider sick days as a means of fatigue mitigation, when strictly speaking the rostering provisions where I work should take into account my cumulative fatigue.