PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2015, 11:44
caaardiff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bristolflyer shares some very good points. However I think CWL is currently going after whatever they can get.
EZY won't be interested, and I'm guessing by the 1 weekly service still going from FR that there's not much likely to come of that either. FR have just got their feet back under the table at BRS with more based aircraft.
BRS are very clever in not creating too much competition on routes. I'm sure if FR could they would try and wipe out EZY and create a huge price war, where the only winners would be the passengers. EZY are continuing to expand and offer a wide range of routes, some of which you'd only expect to see at larger airports. I have no doubt that there will be more to come.
How can CWL possibly compete with that by concentrating on getting a lo-co?
VY continue at a stagnant level at CWL, but I'm guessing as they are, the routes are profitable. The issue here is, how many Welsh passengers are still flying from BRS on routes offered by CWL and VY. I can bet there's a hell of a lot. CWL needs to win those passengers back and get them on VY services. But when you look at VY's prices, they don't always compare to that of prices from BRS. So for VY, why add extra services and drop prices and risk yield? I have no doubt that VY could support at least 1 more flight a week to ALC and AGP.
BE are back and competing mainly it seems with BM routes. Again, BRS is the biggest base for BM and is continuing to grow. BM offer to different markets than EZY/FR.
CWL is going after long haul, because its the advantage it has over BRS. If 1m+ Welsh passengers use BRS every year, why can't a portion of Southwest passengers use CWL? Speak to anyone that flies from LHR and majority will try to avoid it if they can. That's why EK/KL/EI does so well. Quite often people will choose connections over LHR to avoid it.
I also agree in that CWL has potential to get long haul charters back.