PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 11:37
clunk1001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox - i hope you had a great sleep. Career choice, is the answer to your question. Same reason why after a 22 hour day i open my laptop and start responding to client's emails and i ask the question "why am i NOT going to bed?". Do you want to do another job? We all have within us the ability to move careers. Its easier to move out of aviation than it is to move into aviation.

Rex - i am being deliberately obtuse, to highlight the perception of the profession, and to highlihgt the biggest challenge in bringing change. I work my @rse off to run my business, and 80 hours a week is not uncommon - but i wouldnt (and couldnt) work as a commercial pilot. Not so much becasue of the hours, early starts/ late finishes etc, its the uncertainty that the inflexible rosters, unstable basing, and generally unstable companies which would break me. You do all have my greatest respect.

You cant win this argument on hours, or going to bed at 12 noon, being tired, being underpaid....welcome to the real world! Your industry is regulated and all these complaints fall on deaf ears as the public/politicians trust the CAA to ensure your working conditions are safe. You probably can make headway with an argument on pressures of work/life balance.

...but then again - if you wanted a proper work/life balance you wouldnt have chosen to be a pilot.