PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CARDIFF - 2
Thread: CARDIFF - 2
View Single Post
Old 10th May 2015, 10:52
bristolflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the same old "fool's gold" argument. Bristol's success is based on low cost airlines. It is not based on legacy carriers. Cardiff's management should be looking to copy that model, rather than trying to capture one "prize" route to DXB. APD is only one of many issues that a carrier will look at. The reality is that the BRS covers a wide economically affluent area, whereas once you step outside of Cardiff there is a marked decline in affluence. You can get to LHR from Bristol almost as quickly as you can get to CWL. Why then would I travel to CWL to catch a plane when there is so much direct route choice and competition on cost in the opposite direction? After 2017 when the line is electrified the journey will be effortless, with ultimately direct trains from Bristol to Heathrow. BRS got the NY route at a time when Continental had no access to LHR, but as soon as they did they left. Quite how people think CWL is going to support daily a A330 or B777 when it struggles to support links to Scotland and Paris I don't know. The lack of APD may encourage the charter operators because that would have a greater attraction to passengers in the South West to avoid the longer trip to LGW. Regional airports have thrived due to Lo-Co operators. CWL missed a trick when they fell out with Ryanair. If they hadn't, they may have had a Lo-Co to rival Bristol. BRS management understand the limitations of not only the site, but their customer base. Consequently they have methodically built up a good network. I would rather have an airport with a comprehensive European network than one with a single "prize" route. As always I wish CWL well and it is a shame to see what years of mis-managent and political interference has done. They need solid route foundations not fool's gold built on sand.