PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 10:01
Ollie Onion

Received 219 Likes on 75 Posts
Clunk1001,

You have demonstrated the biggest obstacle to airline pilots mental health being taken seriously..... total ignorance. It is only 900 hours in the UK, most other places are 1000 hours and as stated above this is FLYING HOURS. For instance this next week for me is Passenger to simulator training, two days in the simulator, passenger home, one day off, 4 days office safety work before two days off. In this I have NO flying hours so don't tick anything off the 1000 total.

Personally the hardest thing I find about this job is the chopping and changing between early and late duties. This was easy to handle when I was 21 years old, now that I am slightly older than this it is becoming increasingly hard to handle. Throw in a couple of young kids, family ill health, financial pressures, 6 monthly checks which can impact your career, a yearly medical that can end your career for a number of reasons and the pressure can start to build. All you need then is some ******** to tell you how easy you have it as you can only work 900 hours a year and they work twice as hard.