PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 10th May 2015, 09:58
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Clunck, regardless of what others think, or perceive, a great many are faltering, buckling, struggling, leaving. Why? Workload, stress, physiological realities of a low oxygen environment and the fact that we are just not designed to sustain safely the current workloads.
I couldn't care less what the public, regulator, employers think, the moment I know I'm not able to perform my duties to the required standard due to fatigue/illness is when I am OBLIGATED by law to remove myself from a roster.
Whilst at work, I can't nip out for a breath of fresh air and perspective, I can't take a couple of minutes of me time, I'm singularly unable to mentally switch off, and in that respect there are very very few professions where you are unable to mentally and emotionally take a break.
Yes the perception is that we are a bunch of button pushers, but behind that perception is the reality...which is far removed from the simplistic perception.