PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A 320 Braking Technique
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2015, 19:17
C_Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a good presentation by Airbus on this topic somewhere in the Internet - try googling 'Airbus braking recommendations".

The bottom line is:
- Brake temperature is NOT a problem in terms of brake wear. In fact the hotter they get, the less they wear down. This is true till approx 500 deg, where oxidation comes into play. Further increase in temp increases the wear dramatically. So as long as you keep them below ~500 degs, you're fine and no special tehniques are necessary. What kills the brakes is the number of applications. Try to keep it as low as necessary.

Personally, I prefer to use autobrake most of the time and don't care about the temperature too much. Usual combination is LO BRK+IDLE REV, or MED BRK+MAX REV. I am not a big fan of delaying brake application like other posters advocate.

The only time Brake temp is really an issue, is when turnaround time is short. But then, if the company wants me to tanker fuel onto a short runway with signicant tailwind, like they did today - I have no problem delaying the next takeoff until the brakes are below 300 degs...