PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - proper simulated feather power settings
View Single Post
Old 9th May 2015, 14:57
Jumpindan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark,
Thanks for the response. When messing around in the plane yesterday I found a good compromise of 7lbs TQ with prop max rpm for a simulated feather setting. This is for a frankin otter. 100 series with 300 series wings and -28 motors. (motors came off a C90 and 337'd for the otter) Because our minimum field lengths don't require MPS takeoffs (our shortest is just under 2000') we almost always do flap 10 takeoffs and rotate mid 70's for our weights. Just wanted to make the clarification that we aren't doing MPS takeoffs, where power to idle and crash within 20 degrees of runway heading is the standard for failures below VMC (often seen with otter pilots doing flap30+ takeoffs and rotating mid 50's). With using a V1 around 73-80kts and a V2/safety speed of 82, the plane will climb just fine in most conditions with a failure if handled correctly and be airborne in 800' of runway. We practice in the sim for initial training but do all recurrent in the plane. If anyone has anything else feel free to PM, I'm always looking for a better way of doing things if it makes safety sense or saves money. (and before someone goes off about an operator putting cost in the equation... I am a firm believer that spending money to train always pays off in the long run. One flat spotted tire is half a months pay to replace, and an accident is company ending..., Hell, being a stickler about airspeeds will save any jump operator $2,000 during a busy weekend. Good VY climb=three minutes off full power climb for same altitude. 50lds/weekend=150minutes of fuel@700lbs/hr saved for the exact same work. Second benefit=your pilots never get too slow and recognize that airspeed matters for staying alive and making money. now off my soapbox!)