PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sunwing advertising for 145 seasonal pilots - genuine?
Old 9th May 2015, 00:42
Gilles Hudicourt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those that were bypassed need to do two things:

Write to their MP and file a complaint with ESDC.

You can find your MP here:

Find your Member of Parliament using your Postal Code

Here is a sample letter:

<<Date>>
<<Your Name>>
<<Your Address/e-mail/fax number>>

<<Honourable Mr./Ms. [Your MP’s Full Name], Member of Parliament>>
<<MP’s address/e-mail/fax number>>

Dear <<Mr./Ms. [MP’s last name]>>,

As a Canadian pilot and your constituent, I am writing you to share a concern that I have regarding the employment of temporary foreign worker pilots in Canada.

There is a trend among some Canadian aircraft operators to augment their crew contingent with Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) pilots. In recent years, TFW pilots have been hired by dozens of aircraft operators in this country, from British Columbia to Newfoundland, in all sectors of Canadian aviation. As many as 356 TFW pilots were admitted into Canada in 2013, and another 218 in 2014. Some are hired for short seasonal jobs but many are given work permits for two year periods. There are helicopter operators int this country that employ more TFW pilots than Canadians and Sunwing Airlines has employed over 100 TFW pilots each winter for several consecutive years. Sunwing airlines plans to again hire over 100 TFW pilots next winter while overlooking available and qualified Canadian pilots.

The guidelines for the Temporary Foreign Worker Program stipulate that eligible foreign workers may be employed if the employer can demonstrate that they are unable to or train find qualified Canadians/permanent residents to fill the positions and that Canadians must be given first shot at Canadian jobs.

As a pilot, I know that there are highly qualified unemployed pilots in Canada. Several airlines in Canada have recently furloughed dozens of pilots and the low oil prices have greatly reduced helicopter operations in the oil patch, greatly reducing the number of available helicopter pilot jobs.

Rather than utilizing the Temporary Foreign Worker Program to fill genuine personnel shortages, I feel that the program is being used to create economic advantage as the carriers can eliminate the costs incurred for pilot training and hire pilots only seasonally. Sunwing also hires TFW pilots in order to suit the financial interests of TUI, its European owner, from which it sources a large part of its European TFW pilots.

As your constituent, I urge you to raise the matter in writing with the Honourable Pierre Poilièvre, minister for Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC). I believe the Temporary Foreign Worker Program needs to be amended to ensure that TFWs are never hired on dubious excuses provided by employers but only to fill genuine labor shortages.

Thank you for your attention in this matter. I look forward to hearing from you on it.

Sincerely,

<<Your Name>>

Then you need to file a complaint with ESDC. You can do this here. The company you file the complaint against will not learn about it.

Reporting abuse or misuse of the Temporary Foreign Worker program - Service Canada

Good luck. Write on the Facebook page or contact me should you need info.