PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BBMF Lanc Engine Fire
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2015, 20:49
Garysted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gents,

I'm the photographer who took the images that are on UKAR and are linked here. I thought I would just clarify exactly at what point the fire occurred. The BBMF had already completed one practise display (I believe their PDA was due today) and this happened late in the second when they had swapped Hurricanes. The smoke was first seen as it carried out a run across from the 07 end (where I was standing) towards 25 and was immediately spotted by the tower, the crew then confirmed they had a engine fire. I think from memory one tight 360 circuit was completed before they then landed on 25 and stopped as soon as possible at that end. Fire wagons were there in seconds. After about 30-40 minutes the aircraft was towed back down to the BBMF end, past the hangar to the wash pan for cleaning. The image that appears in the press was taken after I left but looks like the foam residue being cleaned off whilst on the wash pan. I suppose they think it's the fire itself. I only overheard one comment from the BBMF engineers at the fence and that was just ' it doesn't look good'.

Gary