PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 8th May 2015, 18:29
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The regulators need to get out on the line. Talk to crews and understand what is happening in the industry, but regulation is a paper exercise today.

That is a direct comment from my days in 1980's. 30 years later the cry is still there. The XAA's have much to answer for.
Regarding FTL's, working days & rosters being driven by profits and productivity not human factors: I have always quoted, and never been supported nor contradicted, that FTL's have been driven by management & shareholders, and allowed to be by XAA's, so as to match the performance of modern a/c. B707 range 10hrs. Working day 8-10hrs. FTL's OK. B767 range 13hrs, FTL working day 13 hours + discretion: abused. B777 & A330 longer range = increased FTL's. Same humans flying the damned things. Unions achieved heavy crews and rest areas with local agreements. Non-unions airlines worked to max, no rest areas. XAA's washed their hands of the whole affair. The whole mess started after mass privatisation and shareholder control = capitalism is in charge and not standards and safety.
Go figure.

"Don't let your daughter on the stage Mrs Worthington", and sure as hell not in the flight deck.