PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 8th May 2015, 15:05
Cazalet33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We all undergo the routine of a "medical" every six months but it is really a farce which tests little more than one's ability to pee into a paper cup and to recognise the number 76 in coloured dots. The psychological/psychiatric element of the exam is trivial to the point of non-existence.

In almost 40 years of professional flying, most of it commercial, I have never been asked any probing questions about my state of mind in a civilian airmed exam. It's never much more than enquiring whether one is sleeping well or imbibing too much. I've never had a psychiatric problem and I'm sure most of us haven't either. The psych tests, such as they are, probably wouldn't pick up on a problem anyway.

The reason why I'm so exercised about this matter is because a young nephew of mine has just passed a Class 1 medical while doing his ATPL writtens. I know for certain that the kid has a very serious psychiatric condition which only surfaces in extremely rare situations. Such a situation is quite certain to arise in the normal course of events of a career on the flight deck of any airliner and I know that his reaction will probably be as extreme as was the German chap's, possibly with an even worse outcome. I've implored his sponsoring parent, who has seen at first hand the bubbling up of these rare eruptions on at least three occasions in the past decade, to stop paying for the kid to fly.

There simply does not exist any channel, such as CHIRP, through which to report [a priori] such a predictable outcome.