PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airline pilots 'buckling under unacceptable pressures'?
Old 8th May 2015, 10:48
wiggy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
skridlov

Do people contemplating joining the industry completely lack information about the nature and conditions of the job? That would surprise me, given that even non-pilots with a passing interest in aviation matters (like, er, me) have ready access to PPRUNE, to mention but a single source. I'd have expected anyone contemplating a career as a pilot - particularly if they're paying for their own training - to investigate what they're getting into.
You're not wrong, but the problem is a lot of people have already made their mind up before visiting this place. They're simply checking in to find out how to live for real their MS Flightsim dream and aren't going to heed a lot the advice freely given here. Many can't or won't contemplate the pitfalls...no amount of discussion will penetrate the rose tinted spectacles and change the mindset. Then the training organisations pitch in with their pictures of A380s and 4 bars on the shirt.......

If pilots think that they have a really, really lousy job, then quit;
Easier said than done for many who are up to their ears in debt.

As I've said to my kids - if I could gift you the career I had I would - but I can't, so don't even contemplate starting down that road.