PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Shoreham near thing!
View Single Post
Old 8th May 2015, 04:02
abgd

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, many model flyers will be lone operators without the knowledge and support of a well connected organisation.
I can't imagine that legislation will cover this effectively.

I taught myself to fly model helicopters a few years back. I'll confess I tend to fly them in my parents' field and started flying from a local park. One thing that made this possible was 2.4ghz radio equipment that means that you no longer need to worry about interference from other pilots on the same frequencies. With older equipment it was advisable to fly from a club field in order to avoid accidentally shooting down somebody else's aircraft, or having your own shot down by an unknown pilot operating on the same frequency elsewhere. Computer simulation also makes a big difference. It's possible to learn to fly on a computer then go out and fly an RC model reasonably competently.

The other big change recently, is the reduction in the cost of models and the sheer brainpower and dedication required to fly them. Balsa models that take 100 hours to build and require a fair amount of detailed knowledge to operate and are inevitably going to be restricted to people of a different mindset from those that might generally operate a prebuilt foam model.

One of the drone manufacturers has started to build control systems that refuse to allow the drones to be operated in the vicinity of licensed airports. But aside from this, I wonder how a responsible r/c aircraft pilot would go about finding out where it was reasonable to fly from anyway? The Heathrow boundary is obviously out of bounds but there are a lot more licensed and unlicensed sites that people may not always be aware of.

I suppose it works both ways - whilst flying down the Welsh coastline, rather low but within gliding distance of the land, I was a bit alarmed to suddenly see some aerobatic models doing stall turns a few hundred yards off my wing and coming up to my altitude. It was a superb-looking model flying site, well established, on the base of a former airfield. Not marked on my maps either.

Outside of powered aviation there has been conflict for a little while between foot-launched gliders and radio-control people, because they tend to enjoy using the same kinds of sites at the same sort of times.