PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Glen Ogle Accident 1994
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 13:38
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
f900:-
I would rather Glen Ogle was left out of the debate, not least as there are, sadly, more than enough high profile examples to work with.
and you will find in every other example, high profile or no, the same thoughts expressed as yours. Every fatal accident thread on this forum has attracted posts suggesting that things be left as they were, stating:

That VSOs are honourable, and the very suggestion that they should issue any unlawful commands or be party to a cover up is unacceptable.

That the families would face fresh anguish at further debate of the circumstances of the deaths of their loved ones (many in fact were at the forefront of demands for the facts to be revealed).

That the F700 showed that the aircraft was fully serviceable and therefore must have been airworthy. (Yeah, right)

That the crew were at fault by allegedly skipping breakfast (RAF aircrew?) and therefore responsible for the subsequent tragedy.

That the crew were responsible for the tragedy by flying too low, rendering them vulnerable to small arms fire when their aircraft was knowingly unfit for purpose by the regulator for use in an operational environment.

That the crew were responsible for the tragedy by switching off their forward HISLs despite the fact that they blinded them, having been illegally fitted in the first place.

...etc, etc. Believe me when I say that when you have been close to an accident, have lost friends and colleagues, have raged at the crass intervention of the media who can't even get the facts that they are briefed on correct, the natural and understandable reaction is to keep that grief to oneselves and to shut others out.

I say that because I have been there myself, but at least I then had confidence in the system manning up to the issues and making sure that, whatever it took, action would be taken to avoid future occurrences. No such confidence can be felt these days because the system is not just compromised but utterly broken, and has to be rebuilt.

That is the agenda that I suspect I share with DV and for that matter anyone that calls themselves a professional aviator. Those who set out to subvert that process should ask themselves what that makes them.