PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Skidmore Letter on Part 61 - Don’t Mention the Cost!
Old 7th May 2015, 11:54
dubbleyew eight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
like all of us in aviation I started out responding to the NPRM's and found consistently that all suggestions were ignored totally and CAsA just went along doing whatever they wanted.

so about 10 years or so ago I decided to totally ignore all suggestions demands and legislation coming out of CAsA.
I have in the last decade or so done all the maintenance on my own aircraft and gone out and flown regularly.
I have totally ignored all CAsA requirements.

was I unsafe? never.
my aircraft is now a vintage homebuilt, it first flew in 1985, it is in better condition now than when I first flew it.
it cruises 15 knots faster. the engine runs absolutely to the numbers and I no longer pollute the air with lead residues.

When I got Skidmore's letter I was tempted to give an honest response.
Why bother?
The system for the past 15 years has been going so far off the rails that it is pointless even bothering to comment.
as just one example the much vaunted biennial flight review has now caused 6 deaths that I would wager would not have occurred otherwise.

The CAsA system is totally fcuked.

The things that really would improve safety haven't a hope of being introduced by these clueless incompetents.
They are so engrossed by their ex RAAF memories that they will never listen to common sense.
So we are stuck with their system if we care to be legal and it doesn't work.
All CAsA ordained maintenance ever does is see to a slow inexorable decline in the airworthiness of aircraft maintained under the system.

In terms of flying competence the new approach is one of fear uncertainty and doubt where before a pilot used to develop a sense of mastery of the challenges and some competent risk evaluation skills.

Sorry Skidmore but the best thing you could do with CAsA is shut it down completely. it does not create a safe environment and it does not engender competence.