PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First remote tower is now operational
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 11:35
ZOOKER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice one Gonzo...
Slightly different though in that there was a mega increase in capacity suddenly available and I suspect more controllers/tels folk were needed.
But I'm beginning to warm to the cost-saving thing and I've had an idea....

I see Hungarocontrol are planning to make Budapest a r-TWR airport. I think that NATS, being a 'World leader' should prove that they're still up there with the best of them and convert EGLL to r-TWR operations.

Think of the advantages though......

1. You wouldn't have to walk through Terminal 3 to get to work, so massive personal time savings for the staff.
2. No more fighting the dreaded M25/M4/M1/M3 traffic. You could arrive for work relaxed and 'chillax' on the drive home.
3. A personal financial saving for each member of staff due to less commuting too?
4. You've probably all had a go in the 'contingency bunker', so you're half-way there already.
5. The current VCR could easily be converted into a revolving restaurant for passengers. This would produce another revenue-stream for HAL, and would offer diners commanding and constantly-changing views of the remote EGLL operation.
They would also be able to see construction of the new runway, AND observe the DFS single-runway operation at EGKK, (Wx permitting). It would also replace the similar rotating-eatery that was lost when The Post Office Tower was bombed in the 1970s.
6. The current emergency facility could be leased to McDonald's or Starbucks, providing yet another revenue stream.
7. Staff costs would also be reduced, which is what it's all about.

There is an ideal location for this operation on the NATS estate already. I've been there and seen it for myself. It's very nice, it's in Ayrshire, it's located at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac. It has it's own on-site car park, and gymnasium. The staff restaurant, (which doesn't revolve unfortunately), has splendid views of the on- site car park, the housing estate in the middle-distance, with mountains on the far horizon. The mountains are much more impressive than The Chilterns and North Downs.
The canteen (sorry,restaurant) even has it's own sun-terrace and does a splendid 'Full Scottish Breakfast', (including haggis, obviously).
Much of the required infrastructure and wiring for the EGLL r-TWR operation is probably already in-situ. There is bags of space now that Scottish Mil have moved out. Why, I bet J.P. could even have the old DandD cell as his new office.

Best of all though, it's a BAND 4 unit, so just think of the savings in staff-costs that will produce.
KERR-CHING !! - Everyone's a winner. (Apologies to the Late Errol Brown., obviously).

I'll work some figures out later and send Dick Deakin an email after tea.