PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Coughing a lot.
Thread: Coughing a lot.
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 08:24
mikedreamer787

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coughing a lot.

I'm coughing a lot.

Been going on a couple of months. Not your mannerly 'cough...cough' we all experience. Instead its like noisily barfing up a lung. It happens at least two to three times a day with virtually no warning and leaves a sore throat. Not much phlegm to speak of.

Gave up smoking many years ago although tend to bum the odd one now and then when tanked at the pub. Total: 3-4 a year.

Booze: Yes. Eased up in the last 12 months but it never made me cough in my earlier drunkard days though.

Checked aircon. Nope, still the stock standard 25C output and outlet guide vanes tilted full up.

New surroundings? Yes but I'm nowhere near China and pollution is minimal. Steam cleaned the carpets and dusted down everything. No joy. Also nightstopping a week at a hotel makes no difference....so I can't blame the new ranch.

Aircraft? No type changes. My usual 25C cockpit zone temp.

Diet? Same stuff I've always ate. Went off dairy but no change.

Kept a diary of the times, whens and wheres of my wild barking sessions. No discernable pattern nor could the doctors find one.

Finally went to a family medical centre. X-rayed poked prodded and ECG'd. Various ice-cream sticks shoved down my gullet. No problems and no explanation for my barking could be proffered.

Sucked up my courage and went to the AME. Same procedure but in far more depth. Again nothing but stress and fatigue proffered as probable causes. No objection to my return to the trenches.

So I took 2 weeks off leave in a nice tropical place with clean air. No change.

Cough medicine and lozenges help but this is temporary and only staves off the inevitable heavy coughing.

I really am getting a little worried. It can come talking to ATC, doing nothing or reading the checklist. Thankfully it isn't getting worse but it isn't getting better. Has anybody experienced the same?

Thanks.