PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First remote tower is now operational
View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015, 05:06
Gonzo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This radar thing, I don't trust it. The only way to keep things safe is to make sure everything is procedurally separated. I mean what happens if the controller gets confused about which return is which, or some anaprop or multipath creates some false returns? Or there are two aircraft near to each other in one area of my scope and I miss something somewhere else?

After all it's just a way for ATCO numbers to be reduced. With radar they say that eventually each ATCO will be able to cope with more traffic, so we'll need fewer ATCOs.

They say that eventually there will be all sorts of technology that can link in to radars, such as displaying identity as something called a label, and even more flight plan information like type, or maybe even the speed the aircraft is flying, or some sort of safety system that may detect when two aircraft are getting too close. That's all a load of rubbish, it's just management smooth-talking to get us to accept it.

No, much safer all round to keep things the way they are now.

The sooner the regulators knock this radar concept on the head, the better. It might have worked in 1940 but this is different.