PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mr Skidmore Letter on Part 61 - Don’t Mention the Cost!
Old 7th May 2015, 01:46
lee_apromise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@Captain Nomad

I beg to differ. And realistically no one will be able to get sim rental cost less than 800 bucks an hour in Australia. One can also bypass this stupid MCC CASA is introducing.

MECIR training done on a piston twin engine aircraft is more expensive than getting a FAA ATP. That's why I said the first option is for those without MECIR. But granted, one might have to do multi-engine rating and instrument rating done in U.S prior to getting onto a sim. But still hell a lot cheaper. But for those doing his/her training through VET FEE-HELP, it ain't working for them.

B737CL type rating costs only around $8K in Miami. Last time I checked, it costs almost $20K to get MECIR in Australia. Schools charge $20K for 20 hours of flight time and 20 hours of sim time. I mean, seriously WTF?

All due respect, as of now, airlines in Australia should drop "ATPL" as a pre-requisite for FO jobs. They should drop the minimum to CASA CPL + MECIR + ATPL theories + MCC (preferably not) so that type rating checkride is to be done concurrently as ATPL checkride. This has been the norm in the states and it is fair for everybody.

Last edited by lee_apromise; 7th May 2015 at 02:10.