PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rudder turns in an airliner...
View Single Post
Old 6th May 2015, 10:44
jcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes Hoppy, I also believe, and others have suggested, engines might surge under such circumstances...

The actual scenario that gave rise to this question was an emergency situation in the simulator with a 747-400 with all 4 engines "off", and all of the associated malfunctions.

Rudder limiters will be unavailable under such circumstances.

The starting situation had the aircraft placed at around 6000', near an airport, and the task was that of trying to land it safely....

My first thought, since one of the rws available for the emergency landing was right ahead of me, but I was too high, was to act like the PF in the "Gimli glider event", and enter a forward slip to loose as much altitude as possible without gaining much speed, while lowering the flaps and gear ( using the the corresponding alternates )... But, as I started to fwd slip I found that I could add full rudder, then compensate with opposite aileron, and enter a "flat" turn, loosing altitude and some speed.... As the 360º turn completed, I was again pointing towards the rw, and ready to perform a "normal" glider-style approach :-) I managed to land the aircraft uneventfully ....

But... was this anyhow plausible for a real 744 ? I really don't think so... and although it is certainly not meaningful in terms of RL operations of the 744, it may well suggest some problems with the flight dynamics model. Of course, not being an aeronautical engineer, and even less a 747 driver... I couldn't resist to ask, as I did in the OP