PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CX Pilot arrested at Heathrow for possession of knives
Old 6th May 2015, 10:02
main_dog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For us line folk who habitually tromp through security at least once a day, the bewildering differences in security requirements at different ports are already confusing. In some places ipad and laptop must come out for security, but not in others. In some, liquids must come out too. Even within the EU, in some states crews are actually exempt from the 100ml liquid limit, but not in others.

At one extreme, FRA is very user-friendly to crewmembers and as Sodapop says most times the walk through metal detector and suitcase X-ray is not even required, at the other extreme, well, there's LHR. I'm pretty sure if you polled pilots worldwide you would see Heathrow close to the bottom.

I think Deptrai and Shep were on track with the way security should evolve. No need to go as far as the Americans who allow armed pilots on board perhaps, but I do like their known crewmember concept. If you can establish that the chap or chapess is indeed pilot X at company Y, and as such has been properly pre-screened as a reliable and responsible individual, then a different security criteria should apply. It's always a bit surreal when said pilot X gets nail clippers confiscated, or reprimanded like a child for forgetting a 50ml tube of toothpaste outside the infamous plastic baggie, and then goes on to fly a heavily-laden airliner over a major city.

The one-size-fits-all model of security simply makes no sense, is cost and time-consuming and should change. Won't hold my breath though.