PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aircraft Types and Training
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 13:59
Vilters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I learned to fly in C-150 and stayed with it till PPL was done.

Then I was checked out in a MS 383, by an instructor.
Then I was checked out in a C-172, by an instructor.

Some weeks later I bought a Jodel-Wassmer D-120.
I did one flight with the previous owner; That was my first tailwheel landing as a passenger.
I flew the plane home, and did my first tailwheel landing at out home airfield. I had that D-120 for about 8 years and took it all over Europe.

All other planes I flew was something like : "Here's the book, there's the plane." And that went up to C-210's and SF-260.

Or: Oeps, no book but it's just like ..... Have fun, when willl ya be back?

Three rules :
- Always do a first flight alone, never take passengers on a fist flight.
- Respect somebody elses aircraft as if it is your own.
- Always give the plane back in a better state as you got it.

Flew all the club's airplanes and most privately owned airplanes at our club this way.

Over the years, some club rules changed.
Nowadays, a checkut in any of the club planes by an instructor is required by club rules, but stricy legaly? You can check out yourself. This last is NOT valid in all countries.

Till PPL?
- I propose to stick to one airplane.
- Fly to learn.
- Be on a mission.
- Sightseeing or Joy? => Time enough for that after PPL.
- Work, work, work. Study, study, study. Have a set of goals for each flight, and work at getting to know how an airplane is supposed to fly.

I remember one thing during those first years.
It must have been around my 35 hr mark?
The regular C-150's in our club were in maintenance, so, I got the C-150A (aerobat) to do a nav.

Direct after take off and flaps in, I turned downwind and landed.
I went to our instructor and said; "Man, that thing is out of rig. I am not gonna pedal it around Belgium you know."

We went up together, and I showed that indeed, the aircraft was out of rig, needing a constant aileron and pedal input.

Being a beginning A&P also, we opened the books, and the airplane, and indeed, one of the adjustable bolts on the rear spar was out of alingment and needed adjusting.
Talking to the pilots that used to fly the thing? "Oh, that has Always been that way." Well, we adjusted, and everybody happy.

Airplanes in cruise are build to fly straight and level. If they don't? Something needs finetuning.

Something similar happened a few years later when I test-flew a Jodel, fresh out of restauration. Another testpilot did the first flight, and then asked me to do the second as "there was something". 3 Test-flight later it flew straight and level hands off, exactly as mine did.

"Knowing" the aircraft you are flying is pretty important; certainly up to and including the PPL test.

That is why I propose : Stick to one airplane till PPL. More then time enough for the rest after that.