PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Rudder turns in an airliner...
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 10:51
jcomm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudder turns in an airliner...

This is a purely theoretical / flight dynamics oriented question by someone who IS NOT a 744 ( or other than gliders ) driver, but who is always interested in almost everything about Aviation ( mostly Civil ) and flight dynamics modeling in flight simulation.

Of course I am aware that such a maneuver, even for testing purposes, would never be executed IRL, if not for other reasons, because it would cause dangerous stress to the fin and rudders and even probably cause their partial or total tail separation. The reason is that I would like to evaluate a given B744 flight dynamics model for a flight simulator I use, and find if some maneuvers possible on that sim make sense / are plausible.

Ok, here it goes... If at cruising levels a Boeing 747-400 AP is disengaged and the aircraft flown manually, can a full 360º "flat" ( meaning wings level ) rudder turn be performed ? I mean, the pilot initiates rudder deflection towards max rudder ( left or right ), and then uses the yoke to try to keep wings as level as possible, thus setting a continuous sideslip situation.

1) Will there be significant yaw rate ? Can you give a guess of how many degrees per second ?

2) Since rudder ratio will be effective ( given no malfunctions ) I believe the outcome will be different if, say, the aircraft is being flown at 4000', and initial approach speed, or even partially configured for landing ( say flaps 5... ) ?

My guess is that the roll induced yaw as a consequence of using aileron cross-control will probably compensate the yaw initiated by the full rudder deflection, plus drag will be considerable, and sustained rudder turns would take "ages" to complete a full 360º ... but at the same time, and given the tail and rudder are designed to be really efficient, specially if you have to cope with a ( even possibly bi- ) engine failure after V1, I wonder if indeed such a maneuver could be performed and what the actual yaw rate would be, depending on speed and altitude...

Thanks for any answers

Last edited by jcomm; 7th May 2015 at 09:08.