PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A330 handling for dummies.
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2015, 09:02
vapilot2004

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airbii by their overcomputerized nature are not intuitive to pilots. Boeings are.
Now I am not current on the Airbus, but I did complete a type course years ago. I came from experience spanning all conventionally controlled aircraft.

I can tell you that while there are times when one is left wondering what is going to happen next, for the most part, the Airbus FBW system is actually more intuitive than one might think. Boeing's own version in the 777 and later 787 has many of the same "ease of operation" and protection features that the Airbus has.

There were a few things, from perhaps old habits, that I found unnerving. The lack of backdriven throttles and when on A/P, there being no indication outside of the instruments of what was being commanded to do what (aileron/elevator inputs). Training and experience, I was told, and tried my best to trust, got one used to that lack of learned visual reference. Other than that lack of physical feedback, the sidestick arrangement was not an issue and it took very little time to be at home here.

MD787, you've heard the expression "to know me is to love me" - well, with the Airbus FBW, to know one is to understand one. Perhaps a sim visit would set your mind at ease?

Sorry for the sidetrack. Back to the discussion about an aircraft that I have never stepped foot upon (the A330) but have seen many a fine example of going about its business.

Last edited by vapilot2004; 5th May 2015 at 09:27.